Saturday, October 24, 2009

allergic reaction

Wendy was up in a chair from 6:30 - 9:30 am this morning, her longest stint up yet! However, her sitting came to an abrupt end when they started a new pain, anti-itch, inflammation medication through her epidural. Once the medicine entered her body she felt like she was dying and burning inside. They stopped the medicine immediately and moved her back to her bed. Half an hour later she seemed to be doing better and was resting.


Wendy's white blood cell count is up. One of the doctors suggested draining some of the fluid from around her lung. Her surgeon (who is at a different surgery at the moment but on 24/7 call for Wendy) said absolutely not. Draining the fluid around her lung requires insertion of a needle too close to her remaining lung. It is too risky of a procedure and should only be done in a life-threatening situation. Their hope and our prayer is that her body starts getting rid of fluids on it own, more quickly. They continue to push diuretics through ivs to help her pass
liquids more quickly. That extra fluid throughout her body needs to be gone!


The doctors and nurses still haven’t found the right medicine to completely block her pain. It is a delicate balance, alleviating the pain and pushing her body to heal.


Pray…

  • Wendy's doctors continue to experiment with pain medications so she is comfortable.
  • Her white blood cell count goes up.
  • Her body gets rid of the excess fluids FAST.
I have unanswered prayers. I have trouble I wish wasn't there. I have asked a thousand ways You would take my pain away. I am trying to understand how to walk this weary land. Make straight the path of crooked life, oh Lord before these feet of mine. When my world is shaking heaven stands. When my heart is breaking I never leave your hands. - JJ Heller

1 comment:

  1. "I love you Lord, you are my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation and my stronghold." Psalm 18:1-2 NLT. The Cowin family continues to be on our knees for you Wendy, your strength and recovery, for Micah and his strength, your boys and your parents. There are so many people praying for you and lifting you up to God. Keep fighting Wendy...you are doing an awesome job!! Love, Chris, Charlene, Cassie and Meghan Cowin.

    ReplyDelete